Jan 4, 2011

I dare bake cake

Dear S.,

Happy new year to you!
I've been at home now for almost two weeks, and today is the first time I baked something. This is a very long time for me being creatively and bakingly completely inactive. My mum doesn't really appreciate cooking and baking experiments, I'm not so sure why. So, due to lacking enthusiasm, I kept myself quiet. And got myself 2 new baking books to survive this phase of abstinence. I planned to buy one for a long time now, and they are a good investment of my Christmas money. Of course I couldn't decide which one to get, so I got two :)



this is a book I have already seen in various countries in various languages. Now I just had to get it, it is one of the most beautiful books about tea and eating- culture books I know. Can we please have this party as soon as we're both back in Antwerp?



or this one?



or this?




Here's the second book:



I already have "Basic Cooking" from the same series. I love it, and I love the baking book too. I's really so much more than mere basic! I like the way things are explained, and, very importantly, I like the pictures for each and every single recipe. There are not only sweet bakings in there, but also plenty of recipes for breads and other savory baking dishes. You'll love it :)



And now, finally, here is what I baked today: Sandkuchen- sand cake. The book promised that it'll be sandier than the most sandy Ostseestrand.. and it is! Yummy, I tell you. I got so happy, seeing the cake in the oven while studying/writing my paper at the kitchen table. (But really, when I was searching for the baking tin, out of nowhere sounded the voice of mum: "what's going on here?"... "baking cake." door shut, from my side and on with the :) stuff. )

dear, I will write soon again. In the last four days I've been writing... soo much! 11 pages, many more to follow. About one of the most beautiful austrian books I know, "Die Wand" from Marlen Haushofer. I want to post a few quotes next time, maybe you should read it once.

love,

M.

No comments:

Post a Comment