Mar 3, 2011

La Cassata -queen of the dolci

Dear S.,

how very sweet this post is going to be!
literally. N.'s mum L. is taking an italian class, and this year she focussed on Sicilia. For the birthday of N.'s dad, she decided to bake/make the so-called queen of italian desserts: la Cassata. She asked, if N. and I wanted to help- sure thing! A new cake- challenge, I can't resist that. and here is the result of many hours of work... tataaaa :)


I love the 70's kitch atmosphere it spreads ;)



hi there.


The cassata is essentially a biscuit 2 or 3 layer cake filled with ricotta, chocolate, Amaretto liqueur and candied fruit- thus a LOT of sweet stuff! To top it off, it is covered in a thin layer of whipped cream and then decorated with a hood of marzipan and more candied fruit. I find it a really impressive cake. It tastes very nice, but you (and even I!) can only eat a small piece at a time. Also, it is the most colorful cake I ever made/ assisted with. L., N. and I were really proud when it was finished :)


bye for now!
M.

No comments:

Post a Comment