Nov 28, 2010

Erster Advent

Dear S.,

today was the first of advent. To us german- speaking christmas freaks, this is a long known tradition, while in other countries the "countdown" until Christmas is not particularly celebrated. Read up about advent on wiki, if you like:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advent


It is not only celebrated in church context but also in almost all families. An essential part of advent is the advent wreath - der Adventskranz. It holds 4 candles, one for every sunday until Christmas Eve. You can buy advent wreaths in any flower shop with us at home, only people who like it very traditional bother to make them themselves. I really wanted to make one this year. All the green material I used is from our very own garden. I had to climb pretty high to find beautiful branches!


Also, It was freezing cold today- as in literally freezing all day long. It felt really good to be outside and collect fir branches, holly and ivy.

This is what my Adventskranz looks like:






It reminds me of the advents time together with my family.. I miss them these days.

Oh, I wanted to let you see what Charlie is doing these days (next to destroying all kinds of things :s ):










Aren't we all jealous?

I really enjoyed our breakfast together, dear! It was nice and cosy :)
and I'm also looking forward to you having internet in your new place! Hopefully the moving of your furniture went alright today?


Yours,

M.

1 comment:

  1. How lovely a cat ! She seems to be well educated in the art of catness...sleeping, eating, being schrale and furry... And also ; Hurray for the Kranz, ich liebe die Weihnachten-Gemütlichkeit !

    ReplyDelete