Oct 23, 2010

autumn comforts

Dear S.,

autumn tiredness has struck me. It's getting harder every day to get out of bed, even Charlie thinks so. The make-it-as-cosy-as-possible time has definitely started! When I woke up this morning and saw that there was no bread, I decided to bake some scones. Their warm smell and subtle sweetness are great for a weekend morning. plus, they are really easy and quick to make.




here's the recipe: (makes 12 smallish scones)

250g of flour
1 table spoon of caster sugar
1/2 teaspoon of salt
2 teaspoons of baking powder
30g of cold butter, cut in small pieces
150ml of milk or cream

Mix all the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Add the butter and crumble it into the flour with your fingers. when it's all mixed, add the milk bit by bit until you have one smooth ball of dough. (now you should let it rest for 15min in the fridge- I never do ;). Pre-heat the oven at 240°C. Either roll out the dough and use a cutter to form about 12 roundish scones or simply roll them in your hands.
Glaze them with a bit of milk- off they go into the oven for about 10-12 minutes.
Let them cool a bit and serve with butter/jam/mascarpone/all three.
The recipe is also easily adaptable for vegans: take non-dairy butter and soy milk.

Some flower kitsch made my day on thursday: these two fabrics are rest pieces so they were really cheap.. perfect for linings and details. And I just couldn't resist the socks, as you can imagine :)



This week I also got infected by the ever-present cupcake-virus. These are my first cupcakes, enjoy!






Today I want to start my own black shopping bag and finish my mittens. (why is it raining today? it's saturday!)

See you later, dear!

M.

3 comments:

  1. du bist kitschig. aber in a good way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. vanwaar heb je die cupcakevormpjes? :) J.

    ReplyDelete
  3. IKEA :) en ik heb iets ontdekt in't stad.. een knutselwinkel heeft een hele rayon vol met cupcake spulletjes! you need to go there! Pipoos in de Jezusstraat. take me with you. xx

    ReplyDelete