Oct 13, 2010

Von Nähkästchen usw.

Dear S.,

back in Antwerp, both of us. Good. Good to have you here.
The last 4 days were so immensly turbulent and it really struck me now that I am in my masters too. It is so interesting and intense, but also such a difference to bachelor studies. hard. 2nd thing that struck me: autumn. As you said today, you only notice the change of the seasons when you travel outside the city. The only difference here is that it's grey and colder.. the heating is on.

I really like your new atelier, and I do envy you, I want such a room too! Unfortunately literature students are not considered worthy of their own atelier.
I do have a working spot at home though that I really like, here it is:




This crappy old table includes garden view and a kitteh that decided to make it its own. Always when I sit down and work on my table Charlie goes to sleep on her blanket on the table. Once in a while she bites my books, tries to drink my water or catches my pen. (when she noticed I was taking a photo she was embarrased to be on it asleep and started a whole show. she is currently searching for a kitty boyfriend, you know).
What else is on there: cheap purple plastic flowers from my mum, a part of the art-wall in our kitchen, my beloved Ikea lamp, crafting projects, books. and a reflection of our brick wall. I really should stop taking photo's at night :)

Writing this and taking a closer look at it, I really notice that I should take more care of my working spot.

A few weeks ago a got a great Charleston-inspired H&M dress as a present. I love its softsoft rosy color, and I really wanted to wear it for my brother's prom ball. So I collected all kinds of accessories to complete the outfit:



The shoes were a real bargain, I found them in Austria for 8 euros. The long pearl neclace comes from a flea market, the pearl bracelet is a heritage from my aunt. what I still needed was a fitting bag- so I made one. The broche is also a DIY thingie.

And here another random photo, because it fits the colours of the dress pic:
Charlie having herself a little tea-party with the beautiful tiny rose service we found at the second hand shop.



My dear, there is an old saying that claims that the state of a girl's sewing box reflects her state of mind("wie es im Nähkästchen eines Mädchens aussieht so sieht's auch in ihrem Herzen aus" or something like that). I always found this saying true for my own room, and now it is true for this entry and myself. I'll borrow the words of Virgina Woolf to end now and explicate my state, kind of. It is a little dramatic, I am aware of that ;)

My own brain is to me the most unaccountable of machinery - always buzzing, humming, soaring roaring diving, and then buried in mud. And why? What's this passion for?


Love,

M.

No comments:

Post a Comment